Home improvement: Boost value of your house with these renovations
First of all my best wishes go out to the folks who stop and read my stuff. The Mighty House radio show has been a labor of love for over a decade (another number I should know… but I don’t… it’s been longer than that). If you are a listener or a viewer over this amazing internet thing, Your feedback is what keeps us going. Please comment on Facebook or call the show – you can say whatever you like – it’s your dime. These days “home improvement” spans a gamut of possibilities. So, as we all take shelter from the storm in our big house, little shotgun shack, trailer home or cardboard box….
- Smart homes will feature smart glazing, lighting, security and home automation features.
- Property Assessed Clean Energy loans are an alternative to traditional financing for making energy-efficient improvements to properties.
- Hiring a professional to install new window treatments is a notoriously expensive endeavor, yet there are endless benefits to them.
- An interior door’s materials could affect how well it works and how long you can wait before buying a replacement.
- So its finally time to replace that old inefficient dishwasher with a new energy efficient model.
- While unlikely to be the clinching factor in a house sale, small problems and defects can create an impression of a house being run down or not well cared for.
The only noticeable sounds in these scenes are Abram’s voice and the clink of metal on concrete. All the celebrity attached to home-improvement show hosts means that little attention is paid to the skilled tradespeople who improve the homes in question. When these workers do appear on camera, it’s usually in montages. Their movements are often sped up for the sake of time, so they scuttle around like chipmunks, hammering, carrying, plastering, painting. Their work, whether intentionally or not, is positioned as secondary to the dynamism of the main stars.
Be sure to finish it with a waterproof sealant if you are installing it behind or around a sink. For a modern take on beaded board, try wider plank paneling. Select the perfect self-adhesive wallpaper to create an accent that’s easy to apply, remove, and reuse.
Our experts have been helping you master your money for over four decades. We continually strive to provide consumers with the expert advice House & Home Improvement and tools needed to succeed throughout life’s financial journey. At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions.
For married people, the numbers become more frightening when you assume a 3.5 percent annual increase in home prices and look ahead 10 years. By then, 15.9 percent of the homes in the New York City area could be in for a tax bill if they’re owned by married people, along with 19.6 percent of the homes in Los Angeles. A tax time bomb is ticking for an increasing number of people who have been lucky enough to see big gains in the values of their homes.
Give the Kitchen a Simple Update
We define control as the extent to which we can decide what happens to and in our home. Control accounts for 4% of the emotions that best explain how happy we are with our home. “Prioritize issues that are known to be costlier to repair such as water leaks and any structural issues around the house,” she said. “Not all home repairs are created equal, so it’s important to look for signs that a project needs to be addressed quickly.”